Image by Chinh Le Duc via Unsplash
If you and your family are planning a trip to China anytime soon, the chances are that Chengdu is on your list of places to visit and with such a gastronomic diversity, you will be able to experience many of the local dishes. Chengdu is the capital city of Sichuan Province, set in the Chengdu plain, a vast expanse of fertile land that is very productive and with so many fruits and vegetables, the range of delicious dishes that originate from Chengdu are among the best in the country. If you are soon to be arriving in Chengdu, here’s a list of local dishes you simply must sample.
1. Fried Rabbit with Peppers – Shuang Jiao Tu is easy to pronounce and is one of the most popular dishes that Chengdu has to offer. Rabbit is a staple diet in this part of China and with generous helpings of green and red peppers, fresh Sichuan pepper, garlic and, of course, ginger, your taste buds will explode into action. While this dish is hard to find in the city, there are rabbit restaurants in the suburbs that specialise in this tasty dish. Many westerners go on China private tours in 2019 and with an online search, you can locate an established Chinese tour operator who can recommend the best places to visit.
2. Smoked Sausage – La Xiang Chang is a spicy smoked sausage that is cured to perfection and the unique spicy flavour is largely due to the fresh Sichuan pepper that is freely available and used extensively in Chengdu’s kitchens. This dish can either be steamed or fried and can be eaten on its own or with several other side dishes.
3. Sichuan Dumplings – Hong You Chao Shou is served in a delicious chili oil and this special dish is exclusive to Sichuan. The dumplings are wrapped into a crescent shape and filled with pork and ginger and the spicy chili oil perfectly complements the dumplings, with many Chengdu chefs creating their very own chili oil sauce.
4. Fish Mint Salad – Zhe Er Gen is a dish that uses a rare plant in China called Houttuynia Cordata, which has a unique flavour. This particular dish is not to everyone’s taste but while you are in Chengdu, you really should give it a try. Perfect as a spicy salad side dish, this uniquely tasting dish is one of the most popular in Chengdu.
5. Fire Wood Chicken – Chai Huo Ji is an ideal main dish for a hungry family, with a freshly prepared chicken that is first cooked in Sichuan pepper and ginger. It is then stewed in a special paste made from pickled chilies, green beans and garnished with potatoes.
Chengdu is the perfect Chinese holiday destination if you are looking to try some amazing cuisine and with such fertile land, the locals make very good use of their produce by preparing unique dishes that you really should experience while in China.